Thursday 15 March 2012

No time for self pity

When you have a dog there is no time for self pity. This was told to me some years ago now, by a lady who adopted one of my foster dogs. The lady in question will not mind me telling you this as she happens to be my sister. It is possibly the only wise words she has ever said to me!


The phrase has stuck in my mind ever since as it is so true. I have met countless people who have mental health issues, bereavement, lack of confidence and who are isolated. The one thing they all had in common was the fact that their dogs helped them heal and get out of bed in the morning.


After adopting her first dog from us three years ago I watched my sister blossom from having severe depression to someone who got up and out every day, had someone to talk to and things to talk about. It got me thinking that our dogs change us and I think rescue dogs change us the most.


Here are a few facts you might not know.
1. Dog owners who have suffered a heart attack are more likely to live longer than those without dogs.
2. Dog owners significantly suffer less from cancer, seizures or hypoglycemia
3. They have lower blood pressure and cholesterol
4. They find it easier to make friends than people with cats.


"In some cases, the social support offered by an animal is greater than the support another human could offer." June Mcnicolas - Health Psychologist.


I think it is fair to say that they enrich our lives beyond belief and encourage us to do things we wouldn't ordinarily do. You certainly don't have time for self pity when you have a dog - and definitely don't if you own a terrier!
Seran Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment